IT Women Mentoring Program
The goal of the IT Women mentoring program is to promote the participation and leadership of women within the LACNIC community and the Internet ecosystem.
The program seeks to encourage the professional development of women who are part of the technical Internet community of Latin America and Caribbean, especially promoting their involvement in LACNIC's various participation spaces.
Through an open call for applications, the program will select professional women interested in producing technical papers documenting various challenges, experiences, and solutions for Internet stability and security. Selected participants will be assigned a leader of the community who will be their mentor and accompany them for a period of six months as they work on their technical papers.
What does the program offer?
Selected participants will receive mentoring for six months with the following benefits:
- Assignment of a leader of the technical community to serve as their mentor.
- Each mentor will offer their support as:
- A tutor during the production of the technical papers.
- A coach for the preparation of presentations and the dissemination of the papers; and
- A guide for participants’ professional development.
- Opportunity to present the results of their work in lightning talk format at LACNIC 35.
- Access to training on: (a) professional development and (b) effective presentations.
- Free access to the courses offered through LACNIC's Online Campus, including access to paid courses.
The call is open to women who are part of the technical community, who are based in Latin America and the Caribbean, and who are interested in preparing a technical paper that will contribute to network deployment and management or to the promotion of the adoption and deployment of Internet standards in the region. These papers may focus on the study of Internet technologies as well as on documenting technical implementations.
Proposals must focus on areas that are relevant to the LACNIC community. Topics of interest include:
- Operation of IP networks (success stories, best practices, etc.)
- Internet protocols (routing, switching, etc.)
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- Interconnection of autonomous systems (peering, IXPs, CDNs, etc.)
- IPv6: transition, deployment, advances
- Measurements, tools and analysis of protocols and Internet in general
- Security, attack mitigation
- Protocols and experiences related to the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Infrastructure and transport
- Value-added services such as VPNs, distributed systems, cloud computing, etc.
- Task programming and automation in networks and/or services
The women who are selected to participate in the program must be available to complete the mentoring process and the proposed technical papers within the six-month period established for the collaboration. The program estimates that participants will have four meetings with their assigned mentor and will complete two soft skills trainings over the course of the six-month period, plus the time needed to produce the paper.
In 2020, six women will be selected to participate in the mentoring program.
The call for applications for the 2020 Edition of the IT Women Mentoring Program is now open. Applications will be accepted from Monday 14th September to Wednesday 14th October 2020 at 23:59 UTC-3 (Uruguay time).
To apply, candidates must complete the online form available at https://mentoreo.lacnic.net. The online application form includes information on the applicant's professional experience as well as a description of the proposed technical paper.
Applications will be evaluated by the program's selection committee, which is made up by three members of the LACNIC staff: Guillermo Cicileo, Head of Internet Infrastructure Research and Development; Graciela Martinez, Head of LACNIC CSIRT; and Laura Kaplan, Head of Development and Cooperation.
The following selection criteria will be considered: (a) applicants’ technical background; (b) proposed topics and their relevance to the LACNIC community; and (c) feasibility of preparing the proposed technical papers within the term of the mentoring program.
Selected participants will be announced on Wednesday 28th October 2020
Mentors we will invite:
Max Larson Henry
Wanda M. Pérez Peña
Nathalia Sautchuk Patrício
Carlos Martínez Cagnazzo
Applications will be received: From Monday 14th September to Wednesday 14th October 2020 at 23:59 (UTC-3).
Winners will be announced: Wednesday 28th October 2020.
Mentoring period: 1st November 2020 to 30th April 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.