Call for candidates to fill three positions in the LACNIC Board of Directors (2018)
According to the provisions of LACNIC's bylaws and the calendar of this electoral process, between 12 and 19 of October, 2018, elections were held in order to select the candidates who will occupy three seats on LACNIC's Board of Directors; votes were collected online.
After the voting period and its corresponding audit by the Electoral Commission and each voting organization, the elected candidates are:
- Evandro Antonio Ramos Terra Varonil de Sousa – Brazil
- Alejandro Guzman - Colombia
- Julian Esteban Lescano Cameriere - Argentina
According to the LACNIC's Bylaws (and the Regulations regarding Incompatibilities, Capacities and Suitability):
“Not more than two Directors may be citizens of the same country or territory in the region.”
For this reason, candidates Hartmut Richard Glaser and Rafael Gomes de Cresci, who originally received the third and fourth highest number of votes, were not elected, as they have the same citizenship as candidate Evandro Antonio Ramos Terra Varonil de Sousa and current Board member Wardner Maia.
|Evandro Antonio Ramos Terra Varonil de Sousa (Evandro Varonil)||2835||30%|
|Hartmut Richard Glaser||1299||14%|
|Rafael Gomes de Cresci||1191||13%|
|Julian Esteban Lescano Cameriere (Esteban Lescano)||1105||12%|
|Sergio Manuel Murillo Saldaña||314||3%|
|Rafael Antonio Ibarra Fernández (Lito Ibarra)||296||3%|
|Ezekiel George Gobin||165||2%|
|Abstención / Abstention / Abstenção||162||2%|
|Rafael Luis Galarza Porras||90||1%|
|Total of organizations that voted: 1935||Total of votes: 9324||100%|
- Number of organizations entitled to vote: 7,691
- Number of organizations that voted: 1,935
- Percentage: 25%
The Electoral Commission of LACNIC has the honor of confirming Evandro Antonio Ramos Terra Varonil de Sousa, Alejandro Guzman and Julian Esteban Lescano Cameriere to occupy the positions in the Board of Directors for the period of 3 years from January 1º, 2019 to Dicember 31, 2021.
Our most cordial greeting and enthusiastic welcome to the new members of the Board and an enormous thank you to the 10 (ten) candidates. Your initiative has been essential to this process.
LACNIC Electoral Commission
If you have any question for the commission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can vote and how?
Online voting period: From 12 October (18:00 UTC) – To 19 October (18:00 UTC)
See the voters’ registry of this process here
- The voters’ registry is the list of organizations enabled to vote.
- This list was closed on September 13, 2018 at 18 UTC and includes all the organizations of the categories Founding Members and Active A (which did not have outstanding balance in their financial statement on that date).
Each member organization has a designated representative (their membership contact) who has the right to vote on behalf of the organization he or she represents. Who will receive an email with the organization's voting link.
The membership contact's name and email address must be on file with LACNIC. The accuracy of this information is solely the member's responsibility; LACNIC will in no way be responsible for updating this information.
LACNIC Electoral Commission presents the eleven candidates to this electoral process:
|Candidates (in alphabetical order by name)||Person nominating the candidate|
|Full name (without abbreviations)||Organization||Country of citizenship||Country of residence||Biography and Desirable Suitability Criteria||Full name||Organization||Reason for the nomination|
|Alejandro Guzman||Google LLC||Colombia||United States of America||Answers||Ariel Sebastián Weher||Alberto Oscar Genovese||I am nominating Alejandro because throughout his term he has shown an important level of commitment with the organization and the community. It is more than clear that Alejandro has extensive experience fulfilling this very important role, and that is why I would like for him to be a candidate once again.|
|Aristóteles Dantas Gaudêncio||Enteriw Provedor de Internet Ltda.||Brazil||Brazil||Answers||Self-nomination||Self-nomination||On 25 September, Aristóteles Dantas Gaudêncio requested the removal of his name from the list of candidates to the Electoral Commission. This candidate will not be included during the voting period.|
|Evandro Antonio Ramos Terra Varonil de Sousa (Evandro Varonil)||Americana Digital Ltda.||Brazil||Brazil||Answers||Self-nomination||Self-nomination||Over the years, I have built a career that matches the expectations of each position in which I have served, and this has resulted in my proven experience in Internet Governance, which makes me highly suited to the challenge of collaborating even more actively with our community.
For years, I have maintained close ties to LACNIC, regularly attending the organization's events and participating in the Public Policy Forum. This has allowed me to gain in-depth knowledge of LACNIC's tasks and activities. In addition, I have an excellent relationship with the community in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and other countries, with the organizations that make up the Internet ecosystem, and with LACNIC's own staff.
Thus, I believe that my technical and political knowledge of the Internet in Latin America and the Caribbean will allow me to fulfill the role with excellence and to meet the expectations of the LACNIC board, where I will be able to more closely participate in the decisions that shape the future of our IP networks.
|Ezekiel George Gobin||T&T Network Information Centre - NICTT||Trinidad & Tobago||Trinidad & Tobago||Answers||Ajmal Nazir||Green Dot Ltd||George is a Vereen and extremely knowledgeable in this area. Well respected and connected in the industry, has contributed immensely on many occasions and would be an asset on the LACNIC board especially in bringing caribbean inclusion.|
|Hartmut Richard Glaser||CGI.br||Brazil||Brazil||Answers||Frederico Augusto de Carvalho Neves||NIC.br||In times of major transformations, it is essential for the board of an organization such as LACNIC to be comprised in a way that it includes a set of experiences, ideas and talents that express the diversity of our region, without losing the continuity and experiences that have already been acquired. Hartmut Glaser is extremely well known and respected in Latin America and the Caribbean and, in my opinion, greatly reinforces the stability and credibility of the institution.
It would be very good for a board that is already quite diverse to have the resilience offered by Hartmut. This is the name I recommend for the position.
|Julian Esteban Lescano Cameriere (Esteban Lescano)||Camara Argentina de Internet - CABASE||Argentina||Argentina||Answers||Hernán Seoane||Cámara Argentina de Internet - CABASE||Esteban Lescano has contributed to Internet development in Argentina and in the region, actively participating in legal, regulatory and policy initiatives as Director of the Legal and Public Policy Commission of CABASE (the Argentine Internet Chamber).
He has actively participated in multiple Internet governance initiatives and spaces, including Net Mundial, LACIGF, IGF, IGF Argentina, LACNIC and ICANN.
In 2014, he was part of the CRISP TEAM as one of the representatives of the Latin American and Caribbean numbers community, where he contributed to the proposed IANA oversight transition, and is currently serving on the NRO Review Committee, to which he was elected by the community.
Esteban is 41 years old, he is lawyer with a degree from Universidad Austral, has a master's degree in Business Rights from Francisco de Vitoria University in Madrid, Spain and a master's degree in Business Administration from Universidad Austral in Argentina. He is a faculty member for the subject of The Right to Information at the School of Social Sciences of the University of Buenos Aires, where his field of research is online freedom of expression. He is also a researcher at CETyS, the Technology and Society Center of San Andrés University, where he has contributed to the Internet Governance Diploma in its 2017 and 2018 editions.
He is a Founding Partner of Lescano & Etcheverry Abogados, a firm that specializes in advising national and international companies on ICT law since 2006.
Esteban has published research papers as well as newspaper and magazine articles on the regulation of telecommunications, audiovisual communication services and Internet development.
|Nicolas Antoniello||Ministerio de Industria, Energía y Minería - Uruguay||Uruguay||Uruguay||Answers||Pablo Cuello||Antel||Nicolas has been actively involved in Internet-related matters, both in our region and around the world, for more than ten years. Specifically, he has participated in Lacnic since the very beginning, whether in his role as chair of the Public Policy Forum; proposing regional and global policies; working on Internet governance issues; as an instructor of routing, security and connectivity tutorials; or actively engaging in various forums and technical and policy spaces. He has devoted much of his time to contributing to – and following up on – these issues and working from his different roles to drive the development of the country and the region in all aspects related to the Internet.
He maintains close ties with the work and mission of Lacnic and is quite knowledgeable of the internal processes, activities and goals of the regional organization. He also has an excellent relationship with the community in general, with the organizations that are part of the Internet ecosystem (regional and global), and with those who are part of the Lacnic staff.
For all of the above, it is my opinion that Nicolás represents a valuable contribution and an excellent candidate to the Lacnic Board of Directors.
|Rafael Antonio Ibarra Fernández (Lito Ibarra)||Asociación RAICES (Red Avanzada de Investigación, Ciencia y Educación Salvadoreña)||El Salvador||El Salvador||Answers||Luis Eliécer Cadenas||RedCLARA||Rafael Ibarra has an extensive career as a founder and collaborator of institutions linked to Internet development in Latin America. His contributions throughout the years are a testament to this, and we at RedCLARA believe that his past and current contributions to the LACNIC Board are extremely valuable. We believe he is an excellent candidate and are therefore formally nominating him to run for this election.|
|Rafael Gomes de Cresci||ErmidaNet||Brazil||Brazil||Answers||Rodrigo Araujo||ITMNetworks||We are nominating Rafael as a candidate to occupy one of the three vacancies on the LACNIC board of directors because he has much to contribute to the work of the organization, because as he has a strong curriculum and because of his solid experience. Rafael has an academic background in International Relations, has been working for 19 years in the hosting and datacenter market, having been the owner of a specialized hosting company. He later migrated to technical and managerial positions and strategic consulting in international companies of the most varied sizes and locations, including LucaNet / IceWarp (Brazil), QuadraNet, Enzu/BudgetVM and Global Net Access (USA), and IBM Cloud / SoftLayer (Brazil), where he worked in operations, negotiation and strategic planning.|
|Rafael Luis Galarza Porras||Inter & Inter S.A.||Ecuador||Ecuador||Answers||Self-nomination||Self-nomination||N/A|
|Sergio Manuel Murillo Saldaña||Red Five Two SA de C.V.||Mexico||Mexico||Answers||Self-nomination||Self-nomination||Highly qualified candidate whose personal and professional goals are in line with the position for which he is being nominated.|
In accordance with article 20 of the LACNIC Bylaws (click here to read the full article here):
- “LACNIC shall be managed and administrated by a Board of Directors composed of seven members,”.
Candidates who are elected will occupy a position on the LACNIC Board for a period of 3 (three) years as of January 1, 2019.
The LACNIC Board recommends not distributing electoral propaganda by mass messaging contacts obtained from the LACNIC DB.
Likewise, the Board would also like to remind you that LACNIC mailing lists are provided for the discussion of specific topics and must therefore not be used to post electoral propaganda.
According to article 26 of the Bylaws (click here to read the full article) in addition to other responsibilities, the LACNIC Board has the following responsibility:
- "To establish objective, detailed criteria for determining the grounds for incompatibility of LACNIC’s elective members, as well as borderline or doubtful cases."
We invite you to read the Regulations regarding Incompatibilities, Capacities and Suitability approved in February 2018 by the Board (see Board minutes here).
Opening of the period for receiving applications: 13 August (18:00 UTC)
Deadline for receiving applications: 13 September (18:00 UTC)
Closing of the voters’ registry (list of voting organizations with no outstanding obligations): 13 September (18:00 UTC)
Publication of the voters’ registry and list of candidates (in alphabetical order): 19 September
Period for submitting questions or comments to the candidates: From 20 September – To 11 October (18:00 UTC)
Period for submitting claims in connection with the voters’ registry and/or the candidates: From 20 Sept – To 24 Sept (18:00 UTC)
Deadline for deciding claims in connection with the voters’ registry and/or the candidates: 28 September (at 18:00 UTC)
Online voting period: From 12 October (18:00 UTC) – To 19 October (18:00 UTC)
Auditing by the Electoral Commission: From 19 October – To 23 October (18:00 UTC)
Period for submitting possible claims in connection with the online voting system: From 24 October – To 25 October (18:00 UTC)
Deadline for deciding claims in connection with the online voting system: 30 October (18:00 UTC)
Publication of the official results: 25 October (if no claims are received in connection with the online voting system)
Who can be nominated and how?
- Citizens of the countries or territories of the LACNIC coverage region that comply with the stipulations of article 20:
Members of the Board of Directors shall be subject to the following incompatibilities:
1. Not more than two Directors may be citizens of the same country or territory in the region. Should a candidate for a position on the Board of Directors have more than one citizenship, all such citizenships shall be considered when evaluating an alleged incompatibility. Any new citizenship acquired by a Director after their election shall not be considered grounds for incompatibility.
2. Not more than one Director may have employment, consultancy or advisory relationships with the same Company or Organization and/or with one of its Related Companies, whether established in the same country or not.
Citizenships for which there is already a Director serving on the Board and only one other director may be elected as a result of this call for candidates.
Wardner Maia (Brazil), Javier Salazar (Mexico) Gabriel Adonaylo (Argentina) and Rosalía Morales (Costa Rica). Likewise, the organizations of these countries can nominate candidates from other citizens of our region.
- Being nominated by a member organization's membership contact: Active A or Founding Member.
- The organization presenting the nomination must be current with their membership fees.
- Nominees may or may not belong to the organization submitting their nomination (self nominations are allowed).
- Members have the right to nominate one candidate for each seat to be filled.
Must be sent to email@example.com with the subject "Candidate to the LACNIC Board of Directors – 2018”
About the candidate
- Full name (without abbreviations):
- Country of citizenship:
- Country of residence:
About the applicant
- Full name (without abbreviations):
- Reason for the nomination:
Who can vote and how?
- Member organization's: Active A or Founding Member
- No outstanding balance on their account statement as of the date of voters registry
- Voting is conducted electronically on LACNIC's elections system - article 25
- The scale of votes goes from the value 1 to 11 depending on the member category (according to address space assigned) - article 19
- Each member organization has a designated representative (their membership contact) who has the right to vote on behalf of the organization he or she represents. Who will receive an email with the organization's voting link.
- The membership contact's name and email address must be on file with LACNIC. The accuracy of this information is solely the member's responsibility; LACNIC will in no way be responsible for updating this information.
More information about the Board of Directors
According to the LACNIC Social Bylaws, the Board of Directors consists of seven members who make up the following honorary positions:
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Treasurer, Deputy Treasurer and Regular Member.
Powers and responsibilities
Each position corresponds to a list of specific tasks that are found in the following chapters:
IX (Vice-President, Deputy Secretary, Deputy Treasurer and Regular Member).
Mandates and incompatibilities (article 20)
- Directors shall serve a three-year term of office
- Directors shall be eligible for re-election as long as they continue to meet eligibility criteria
- Each year they shall be partially renewed in groups of two or three (as appropriate)
- Not more than two Directors may be citizens of the same country or territory in the region
- Not more than one Director may have employment, consultancy or advisory relationships with the same Company or Organization and/or with one of its Related Companies, whether established in the same country or not
- Each year, after the renewal of its members, the Board of Directors shall appoint the positions to be held by its members
- LACNIC's Executive Director/CEO shall participate in Board meetings with rights equal to those of a Director, except for the right to vote
The LACNIC Board of Directors meets periodically (approximately 10 times a year) through telephone conferences or web conferences with an approximate duration of 2 hours.
In addition, it holds 3 face-to-face meetings a year, two of which take place during LACNIC's main events, and the third usually at the end of November or beginning of December at LACNIC's headquarters.
- The Board of Directors shall meet at least once every three months, on the date and time established during their first annual meeting
- Meetings shall be valid with the presence of the absolute majority of designated members
Code of Conduct
Like the staff of LACNIC, the Board of Directors is ruled by our Code of Conduct.