2022 Elections: IANA Numbering Services Review Committee (RC)
The LACNIC Board recommends refraining from sending electoral propaganda by mass messaging contacts obtained from the LACNIC database.
The Board would also like to remind you that LACNIC mailing lists are provided for the discussion of specific topics and must therefore not be used to distribute electoral propaganda.
This is an open call for nominations to fill one (1) seat on the IANA Numbering Services Review Committee (RC) in representation of the LACNIC region.
The elected representative will serve a two-year term beginning on 1st January 2023.
How many members are part of the RC in representation of LACNIC?
What are their powers and responsibilities?
According to the Service Level Agreement for the IANA Numbering Services, the Internet Number Community calls for a Review Committee. The RC's function is to advise and assist the NRO EC in its periodic review of the service level of the IANA Numbering Services provided to the Internet Number Community.
Members of this committee serve on an honorary basis, without receiving compensation for their services. Likewise, members of the RC will not receive from LACNIC or from the NRO any compensation or reimbursement of expenses for their services.
While it is not expected that travel will be part of the duties of the members of the RC, in case it is necessary for them to do so, LACNIC will cover the transportation and accommodation costs for LACNIC region representatives to attend the events where their participation is required so that they can exercise their duties on behalf of the LACNIC Community.
Who can be nominated? How are nominations submitted?
- Any citizen of the LACNIC region may be nominated to this position, except staff members of any of the Regional Internet Registries, members of LACNIC's Board of Directors, and any individual having the same citizenship as one of the RC members elected by the LACNIC community and currently in office*.
* The community representative currently serving on this committee is a Brazilian national. This means that citizens of this country can only nominate candidates who are citizens of other countries of our region.
- Self-nominations are allowed.
- In order to be admitted, candidates must state that they are familiar with the Service Level Agreement (SLA) for the IANA Numbering Services, as well as with the Numbers Community Proposal for the IANA Transition.
- Only candidates who receive 2 (two) expressions of support from citizens of the LACNIC region before the corresponding deadline may run in the election.
- Candidate information (acknowledgment of nominations, expressions of support, candidate bios) will be published on LACNIC's website.
- If only one candidate meets the requirements, it will not be necessary to hold the election, but the LACNIC Board must still ratify the candidate's appointment.
- If the deadline for candidate nominations expires and no candidates meeting all the requirements have been nominated, an additional 15-calendar day nomination period will be announced.
- If this extension to the nomination period expires and there are still no candidates meeting all the requirements, the LACNIC Board will appoint the RC member, taking into consideration the requirements specified for the position.
- Should failure to perform their duties affect the RC's operation, the LACNIC Board may decide the removal of any member of the RC. The Board will publish the reasons for the removal and will appoint a temporary substitute member within a maximum of two weeks. This temporary substitute member will serve on the Committee until the following election.
- Should a member of the RC be elected to the LACNIC Board of Directors, such member must resign from the RC before taking office on the Board.
In the event of a tie, a runoff vote will be held among the candidates with the highest number of votes, excluding all other candidates.