Nomination Call for ASO Representative to 2021 ICANN Nominating Committee
This message is sent on behalf of the NRO
June 4, 2020
ICANN’s Nominating Committee (NomCom) is responsible for the selection of eight ICANN Board Members, two directors of the Public Technical Identifiers (PTI) and for other selections as are set forth in the Bylaws (see Article 8, Section 8.1).
The NomCom is also charged with appointing some members of the ALAC, ccNSO Council and the GNSO Council. The NomCom complements the other means for filling a portion of key ICANN leadership positions achieved within ICANN Supporting Organizations and Advisory Councils.
As per the ICANN Bylaws (Article 8, Section 8.2), the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) is pleased to invite nominations for candidates from the “Internet Numbers Community” to run for an open seat on the ICANN NomCom 2021 as delegate of the ASO.
The term for the selected delegate will be one year starting in ICANN 69 in Hamburg, Germany, in October 2020 (see Article 8, Section 8.3 for term limits).
All ICANN Bylaws described above can be found here.
Time Commitment for the ASO NomCom Representative
The person should be able to join (in person - ONLY when it is safe to travel and travel restrictions are lifted), three ICANN (69, 70 and 71) meetings and an intersessional meeting (location decided by NomCom 2020). Travel support for all meetings is provided by ICANN.
- ICANN69 - Annual General Meeting - 17-22 October 2020 – Hamburg - EUR
- ICANN70 - Community Forum - 20-25 March 2021 – Cancún - LAC
- NomCom Intercessional - Assessment meeting - TBD April 2021 - (Location tentative)
- ICANN71 - Policy Forum - 14-17 June 2021 - The Hague - EUR
In 2020 due to COVID19, NomCom has only conducted online meetings and this may continue in 2021 unless and until it is safe to travel. Online meetings take more time per week as compare to in-person. Please review the time commitments in view of COVID19. In case the global travel resumes and there is an in-person meeting, the travel support will be provided by ICANN. The ICANN
NomCom has a set of guidelines and procedural documents available here for reference that provide additional information about the work of the NomCom.
The person should be able to join monthly teleconferences (typically 15:00 or 16:00 UTC). Note that the committee’s workload will increase significantly during Apr/May/June 2021 when the candidate assessment process will be at its busiest. Conference calls are held more frequently (typically weekly and the duration of the calls may last up to 3 hours) during this time.
Deadlines and Important Dates
The ASO AC will be responsible for the selection of the delegate based on the following timeline:
- Announcement of call for nominations for 2021 ICANN NomCom: 4 June 2020
- Nomination period ends: 17 June 2020
- Evaluation of nominations by the ASO AC: 18 June 2020 – 28 June 2020
- Voting period by the ASO AC: 29 June 2020 – 7 July 2020
- Announcement of selected delegate: around 8 July 2020 (second week of July)
All nominations should be sent to secretariat [at] aso [dot] icann [dot] org by 17 June 2020 23:59 UTC. with answers to the following questions (all questions are mandatory), you can also provide your CV as well.
- Have you read the time commitment for NomCom and willing to commit the time required to fulfil this role?
- Have you been part of NomCom in the past representing any other constituency?
- How many ICANN/RIR meetings you have attended in last 5 years? and which SOs/ACs you actively follow?
- Please share briefly, why do you want to join NomCom as ASO-AC appointee.