ARTICLE 1: (Name and Address)
A non-government organization is created under the name Latin American and Caribbean Internet Addresses Registry (LACNIC), organization that shall be governed by these bylaws and the applicable rules and regulations. The central office of this organization shall be in the department of Montevideo.
* Article modified at the member assembly held on April 24, 2003.
ARTICLE 2: The following are its objectives:
- Manage the IP address space and other related resources for the benefit of the Internet community in the Latin America and Caribbean region (LAC).
- Provide the services of registry for IP addresses, ASN, inverse resolution and their related resources, with the purpose of allowing and facilitating communications over computer networks.
- Represent and promote the viewpoints and interests of the region at international organisms, within the scope of its charter.
- Collaborate in the growth of the Internet in the region.
- Assist the Latin-American and Caribbean communities in developing procedures, mechanisms and standards for the efficient assignment of the Internet resources.
- Promote educational opportunities to its members in the technical and political areas within its competency.
- Propose and develop the public policies within its charter.
In order to fulfill its objectives LACNIC may:
- organize all necessary services for the realization of its objectives for the management of the IP space and other related resources of the Latin American and Caribbean region (LAC);
- organize courses, conferences, symposiums, congresses, contests and any event which is aimed at divulging, teaching and perfecting the goals of LACNIC;
- produce, edit, publish, and divulge communication materials using all technological means;
- create documentation centers;
- Enter into agreements with persons, corporations, public or private institutions, whether national or international;
- organize and sponsor trips for study and investigation purposes, or for divulging the LACNIC objectives;
- Become involved with other national or international entities with similar objectives in order to organize congresses and activities together;
- Cooperate with national, state, municipal and public authorities, and with public and private entities with regards to the LACNIC objectives.